Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Kulikov Turning Some Heads

One prospect that has caught my eye this season is 2009 Draft Eligible Dmitry Kulikov of the Drummondville Voltigeurs. He has 3 goals and 14 assists in 17 games this season. He was in Lewiston this past weekend. He hasn't just surprised me but his Head Coach, Guy Boucher, when I asked him his thoughts on the 18-year-old rookie after Sunday's game.

“He’s incredible, for me it’s been ten years in this league for me; I’ve coached (Mike) Ribeiro, (Derek) Brassard, and (Sidney) Crosby. He’s the second best total package behind Crosby,” said Boucher. "He's a total player, he's gritty, he hits, and he has incredible vision." Boucher also mentioned he had a great shot.

My face dropped when he said he was the second best player that he has coached behind Crosby. That's saying a lot about the kid. Kulikov was the second overall selection in last year's CHL Import Draft. It's only been a couple of months living in North America. Bouncher also mentioned his attitude.

"The attitude is just phenomenal. He's the best defenseman at that age in our league, in the ten years I have been here. I won't coach a better one in junior."

I am surprised he hasn't been more hype around him. The Redline Report has him ranked tenth overall but that's about it. Another thing that surprised is the fact I didn't see too many NH scouts over the weekend to check him out. Hopefully playing the QMJHL won't hinder his draft stock.

Fans get upset when Russians don't come over but he's here. He might still fall because he's playing in the QMJHL. That's not fair to the kid. He didn't expect all the rule changes will hurt him. Hopefully he will be on the Russian World Junior roster, where the scout will be.

That's My Take

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article and some neat info - thanks!