Thursday, February 26, 2009

Walters signs with Brampton

Press Release

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Left winger Ian Watters of Pickering, Ont., has signed with the Brampton Battalion, the Ontario Hockey League club announced Wednesday.

“I’m pretty excited about it,” Watters said via telephone. “It’s a great organization. I’m looking forward to being there next season. I’m a hard-working guy and I hope I can put some points up. I bring some grit, too. I know the OHL is a tough league, but I hope I can come in and produce.”

Watters, who turned 17 on Dec. 27, was an eighth-round choice, 155th overall, from the Ajax-Pickering midgets in the OHL Priority Selection last May.

He led the Ajax Attack of the Ontario Junior Hockey League in scoring this season with 31 goals and 48 assists for 79 points in 46 games with 110 penalty minutes, being named the Ruddock Division’s rookie of the year. Watters has two goals in six playoff games with the Attack, which trails the Kingston Voyageurs 2-0 in a best-of-seven second-round series.

Stan Butler, Battalion director of hockey operations and head coach, said he was happy to add Watters after trading two other 1991-born forwards, right winger Michael Hasson and left winger Josh Shalla, in January.

“Ian had a great season for Ajax. We’re confident he can come in and help us. I think he’s an offensive player who will score some goals. He’ll put up some good numbers once he adjusts to the OHL.”

Watters was first-time eligible for the OHL Priority Selection in 2007 but went unchosen.

“Getting passed over made me think about the college route. But getting picked by the Battalion made me look at playing in the OHL.”

Watters, who had made a verbal commitment to attend Erie’s Mercyhurst College, opted to enlist with the Battalion after a meeting with Butler.

Said Butler: “We believe in our program here. We’ve had good success developing players for professional hockey and to the Canadian universities. I told Ian and his family that I felt coming to the OHL gave him the best chance to develop as a player and look after his schooling.”

Watters, set to graduate from high school in June, plans on starting post-secondary studies this year.

“I haven’t decided where I’m going to go, but I’m definitely looking to go to college or university when I’m playing with the Battalion.”

Butler said he hopes Watters can follow the lead of right winger Jason Dale, defenceman Matt Clark and left winger Stephon Thorne, three current members of the Battalion who joined the team as 18-year-olds.

“Not making your team when he’s 16 or 17 doesn’t mean a player can’t come in at 18 or 19. Clark and Thorne are guys who have come in as 18-year-olds and had significant roles this season. Dale made our team as an 18-year-old free agent two seasons ago. Some guys need more time to develop, and we’ll continue to operate that way and look at guys right up until their eligibility is over.”

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: