Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Top Picks McIvor and Blujus Commit to Brampton Battalion

Press Release

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Defencemen Marcus McIvor and Dylan Blujus have signed with the Brampton Battalion, the Ontario Hockey League club announced Friday.

Both 16, they were the Battalion’s first two picks in the OHL Priority Selection in May. McIvor was a first-round choice, ninth overall, while Blujus was tabbed in the third round, 60th overall.

A resident of Whitby, Ont., McIvor last season had 15 goals and 37 assists for 52 points in 71 games with the Whitby Wildcats minor midgets.

“I’m thrilled and honoured,” McIvor said as the Battalion’s training camp continued with practices and an intrasquad game. “I’m really excited to get going. It’s going to be a great season.”

Blujus, a Buffalo native, recorded five goals and 17 assists for 22 points in 48 games for the Buffalo Regals major midgets last season.

“It feels good now to know I’m part of the team,” said Blujus. “I’ll play my role, do the small things right and play a smart defensive game.”

Both players figure to be part of a young defence corps that will see plenty of ice time with the graduation of Brad Albert, Ken Peroff and Matt Clark.

“It’s a great opportunity with the young group of defencemen we have,” said McIvor. “You don’t want to go to a team where you’re going to be stuck on the bench or in the stands every night. Around here, the better you play the more ice time you’ll get.”

Said Blujus: “I know I have to work for everything I get. The OHL is a great league to play in and a great way to build your hockey career. I really like the level of play.”

McIvor said he already has drawn lessons from veterans.

“The last couple of days I’ve been quiet and focusing on how the guys prepare. I’ve been learning some tricks about playing on the back end from guys like Cameron Wind.”

McIvor measures six-foot-one, 204 pounds. Blujus is six-foot-three, 183 pounds.

“I’ve always been one of the bigger guys,” said McIvor. “In yesterday’s game I was a little nervous to start, but as it went on I began using the body and got more comfortable knowing that I can play with these guys. I know it gets faster as the season goes on, but I think I’m pretty mature physically for my age.”

Blujus said he worked on getting stronger over the summer.

“I worked a lot on my strength. That’s going to be one of the biggest things I’ll have to deal with. The guys are a lot stronger than what I’ve been used to, but I think I can adapt to it. I played in a great league with the Regals, even though we weren’t one of the better teams. It was tough for us, but it was a good league to play in for me to get ready for the OHL.”

McIvor was among 84 players at a July camp for the Ontario team in advance of the World Under-17 Challenge scheduled at Winnipeg from Dec. 28 to Jan. 4.

“I didn’t have the greatest camp, but it was a great experience. It was a real eye-opener. Everything is a lot harder, and you have to work harder and get better every game.”

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: