Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Youngstown Defenseman Commits to Miami University

Press Release

The Youngstown Phantoms announced that defenseman Ben Paulides has committed to play collegiate hockey at Miami University following his USHL career.

"You always hear people say, 'there are no words to describe this,' but there really aren't any," said Paulides. "I am just happy to know that I will continue my hockey career at the college level. I knew I wanted to get my degree and to get it a top school like Miami is great."

The 6-2, 214-pound defenseman has appeared in all 30 games for the Phantoms this season and registered six assists, including three assists over his past four games. He is second on the club with 73 penalty minutes.

"I like to play a physical game," said Paulides. "I am best paired with a player like Scott Mayfield who likes to rush the puck. I am solid in my own end and I know that if my partner goes in the zone on a rush I can sit back and take care of our end."

It is the second USHL season for the native of Los Gatos, California. He collected seven points (3g, 4a) and 117 penalty minutes in 58 games for the Phantoms during the 2009-10 season.

"Benny is a true professional," said Curtis Carr, Youngstown Phantoms Head Coach/GM. "He works hard on and off the ice and he is the type of player that Miami goes after. He gives everything he has and he will be a true asset to the Miami program."

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: