Saturday, June 18, 2011

Jacks Defenseman Commits to Penn State

Press Release

The Muskegon Lumberjacks announced that defenseman Mark Yanis has committed to play collegiate hockey at Penn State University following his USHL career.

"I wanted to go where I could continue to the next level and make it to the NHL," Yanis said. "(Penn State Head) Coach Guy Gadowsky has a lot of respect in the pro world. It rang a bell when I got to meet him personally."

Yanis collected five points (1g, 5a) in 54 games while playing his rookie USHL season as a 16-year-old. The 6-3, 200-pound native of Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan also was third on the Lumberjacks with 136 penalty minutes. He will return to the ice in Muskegon this fall for his second USHL season.

"It'll be a big year for me, starting with the USHL Fall Classic in September," Yanis said. "I want to be a leader on this team and lead by example. I want to show the newcomers what Muskegon hockey is all about. I have a physical style and Coach Patrick preaches that if you don't hit, you won't be in the lineup. I'm here to be a shutdown defenseman and that's what Penn State was looking for."

Yanis will join the Penn State University Nittany Lions as they begin their first season as an NCAA Division I program beginning in the 2012-13 season and will join the newly formed Big Ten Conference. He also plans to study criminal justice at the school.

A pair of players who spent this season in the USHL are also committed to Penn State – Tommy Olczyk (Sioux City Musketeers) and Brandon Russo (Youngstown Phantoms).

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: