Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Kersner tabbed head coach in New Mexico

Press Release

The New Mexico Mustangs have announced that Jason Kersner has been named the team’s new head coach. He replaces Bill Muckalt, who accepted an assistant coaching position at Michigan Tech University earlier this month.

Most recently, Kersner coached the DC Capitals 18U team, leading the club to a championship in the North American Prospects Hockey League last season.

“I’m excited for all of the New Mexico Mustangs fans, players and staff to introduce Jason Kersner as our next head coach,” said Mustangs president Ken Dennis. “I’m very confident he’ll be placing many of our players in college hockey and winning many games during the upcoming seasons.”

Kersner, a Rockville, Md., native who’s been coaching Tier I hockey in the Maryland area the past 10 years, takes over the team as it prepares to embark on its second season in the NAHL.

“Jason has demonstrated the consistent ability to successfully lead his teams on and off the ice with character, integrity and respect,” added Dennis. “He’s a great recruiter and tireless student of the game. I feel Jason has a bright future ahead of him as a coach and I’m truly excited for our players to have the opportunity to learn and grow under his leadership.”

Kersner, who has developed a number of Division I players over the past few years, is excited for the opportunity to coach in the NAHL.

“I want to thank Coach Muckalt and Mr. Dennis for putting their faith in me to take over the Mustangs program,” he said. “The NAHL is a proven developmental path for elite hockey players and I’m excited to help these young student-athletes grow both on and off the ice to achieve their goals.

“I’m excited for this new opportunity and I believe my past experiences will help me be successful as we try and build the Mustangs program into one of the premier junior programs in the country.

“I’m committed to building a culture of winning for this team,” Kersener added. “We’ll build a team and an organization that can achieve long-term and consistent success. This is a process and these beliefs will not be sacrificed for any short-term gains.”

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: