Monday, August 29, 2011

Jacks forward Klecha commits to Ferris State University

Press Release

Muskegon, Mich. – Just in time for Muskegon Lumberjacks training camp, Dakota Klecha has committed to Ferris State University.

The Jacks’ second-round selection in the 2011 United States Hockey League Entry Draft has been in conversations with Ferris for years. On Friday, they made him a scholarship offer he couldn’t refuse.

“They put the offer on the table and I thought it was awesome,” Klecha said. “I had to take it. My parents are very happy for me.”

Klecha will attend Baker College full-time before transferring to Ferris in fall 2012. He plans to study business.

“I know between the Jacks staff and everyone at Baker, they will do everything they can to help me succeed,” Klecha said.

The Taylor, Mich., native leaned on the Jacks’ staff, as well as Belle Tire Head Coach Chris Coury, who’s been a mentor to Klecha for years and served as his contact person in discussions with Ferris.

Klecha amassed 50 points (28 goals, 22 assists) and 248 penalty minutes during 56 games with the Wichita Falls Wildcats of the North American Hockey League last season and prides himself on affecting every aspect of the game.

“My game elevates when I play my way,” Klecha said. “I can’t be timid out there. I have to be finishing every check, and that’s what jumps my spark. I can’t wait to play hockey again. It’s been awhile.”

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: