Sunday, August 21, 2011

Top pick Robinson enlists with Troops

Press Release

BRAMPTON, Ont. – The Brampton Battalion has signed left winger Brandon Robinson to an education contract, the Ontario Hockey League club announced Friday.

Robinson, 16, was the club’s top pick in the OHL Priority Selection in May, chosen with the seventh overall choice.

“To go that high and be able to stay close to home, I was just so happy,” said Robinson, a native of Pickering, Ont.

Robinson, six-foot-three and 200 pounds, played last season with the Toronto Jr. Canadiens of the Greater Toronto Hockey League, recording 49 goals and 46 assists for 95 points in 76 games.

“I’m just excited to get going and anxious to see how I fit in.”

Said Robinson: “I like to think I’m a two-way forward. I can move the puck, score and play in my own end, but I’ll also be that guy who goes into the corner, takes the body and plays physical.”

He was among 38 players who took part in the Battalion’s orientation camp at the end of May.

“The camp was really good. It took a couple of shifts to get used to the pace, but I thought I moved the puck well and skated well.”

He said he’s excited about getting main camp under way Aug. 31 but knows he’ll have to work hard to earn a regular spot in the lineup.

“There are always going to be guys who have been drafted before that are looking to get on the team, so if at training camp I don’t perform I could lose my spot. I just think of myself as another guy trying to earn a spot on the team.”

Robinson, who has worked hard this summer to prepare for the speed and physicality of the OHL, said the pace of the game will be the biggest challenge in his transition from the minor midget ranks.

“The speed of some of the guys and the speed of the game is a lot quicker than minor midget, so you have to make decisions a lot quicker. Every guy that’s playing deserves to be there and will be strong and fast.”

His offseason routine has consisted of daily workouts at a gym as well as on-ice sessions in Pickering with Stan Butler, Battalion director of hockey operations and head coach.

“I’ve been going to the gym five or six days a week and I’ve skated with Stan on Sunday nights,” said Robinson. “I’ve also been skating with another guy in Pickering who does a lot of stuff like edge work, quick feet and driving to the net.”

Robinson said he hopes to provide offensive flair and a solid work ethic.

“Whether I’m first line or fourth line, either way I’m just going to go out and play hard whether I get five shifts a game or 25 shifts a game. I hope to contribute offensively and just go out every shift playing hard and showing them why they chose me.”

Robinson credited his father as being the most influential person in his young hockey career.

“My dad was drafted to the O and then to the National Hockey League to Chicago, so he knows what it’s like. He’s been through it all. He knows how much work and effort you have to put in and all the sacrifices you have to make just to be where you want to be.”

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: