Sunday, October 9, 2011

IGNAGNI NAMED S-E PLAYER OF MONTH

Press Release

The OJHL announced today that St. Michael’s Buzzers’ netminder Adrian Ignagni (photo credit - Mike Ivall/St. Michael's Buzzers) has been named the Gongshow Gear South-East Conference Player-of-the-Month after backstopping his way to an 8-1 record throughout the month of September.

Starting all nine games during the month for the Buzzers, the second-year netminder began his first year in the starting role with an eight game winning streak, including a 7-0 record versus division rivals. The 18-year old would allow just 19 goals during his nine starts, recording a 2.11 goals against average and .939 save percentage as he vaulted St. Mike’s to the top of the South Division standings and to a 10th place national ranking in the entire CJHL. Highlights of Ignagni’s month include his first career OJHL shutout, a 32-save, 4-0 victory over the Toronto Lakeshore Patriots, and 42-save, 3-2 victory, over the Kingston Voyageurs.

In discussing his selection, Ignagni would say, “The player of the month award is a great honour. I believe awards like this are ultimately team awards. I play for my team and my team plays for me, we share in this together. That’s what the Buzzers do.” He continued by discussing the difference in his play this season from last, “My pre-game preparation has stepped up this year. I think I wasn’t always focused before, but now I think my pre-game stuff has stepped up and you can see my focus and concentration paying off in games.”

Buzzers’ General Manager & Head Coach, Rich Ricci lauded the play of his starting goalie, “Adrian's success early has been a result of two things primarily. He committed himself in the off season to a disciplined work-out routine and in season, he has completed revamped his game preparation. I was hard on Adrian about both pieces last year, but to his credit, he has taken the advice and now reaps the benefits of a great start. He has now made himself into an attractive goalie for the NCAA for 2013.”

Ralph Cuddemi of the Mississauga Chargers was runner-up to Ignagni as the South-East Conference Player-of-the-Month. Cuddemi finished tied for third in OJHL scoring during the month with 18 points, on the strength of 8 goals and 10 assists.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: