Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dahlstrom Commits to Northern Michigan

Press Release

(December 8th, 2011) - The Chicago Steel are proud to announce that goalie Mathias Dahlstrom has committed to play hockey for Northern Michigan University beginning next season. Dahlstrom is a native of Smedjebacken, Sweden and in his first year with the Steel.

"I really liked Northern Michigan when I went there on a visit," Dahlstrom said. "The coaches were very nice and helpful throughout the recruiting process. Overall, it was a good fit for me."

"My family always knew that I wanted to play college hockey and they are happy that I get the chance to follow my dream."

Dahlstrom, who played last season for the Kenai River Brown Bears of the North American Hockey League, is currently first amongst United States Hockey League goalies for minutes played (984:17) and saves (504), while his .911 save percentage ranks 10th.

"We are excited that Mathias has committed to Northern Michigan," Chicago Steel head coach Scott McConnell said. "He will get the opportunity to step in and push for playing time when he arrives on campus. His character and work ethic, combined with his abilities, will allow him to contribute to their hockey program immediately."

"Mathias has been the backbone of our team and every team he has played for and I expect the same in the future."

Northern Michigan is a member of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association and won a NCAA National Championship in 1991. NMU has made three Frozen Four and eight NCAA Tournament appearances in 35 seasons of NCAA Division I hockey.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: