Monday, June 18, 2012

Steelers' Kampen heading to Germany

Press Release

The Selkirk Steelers announce that 20-year old defenceman Alex Kampen has signed a one-year professional contract with the Fischtown Pinguins (Bremerhaven REV) located in the seaport City of Bremerhaven, Germany. Last season, the Pinguins competed in the 2nd "Bundesliga" League and have moved to the "Oberliga" League for the upcoming 2012-2013 season.

Kampen, who was born and raised in Winnipeg, recently obtained his German Citizenship. During the past three 3 seasons with the Steelers, Kampen appeared in 117 regular season games, scoring 3 goals, 29 assists for 33 points.

"I have wanted to play in a European League since I was in Bantam hockey, so it’s exciting for it to actually happen now. It’s even more special for me to play in Germany as my grandfather left Germany through Bremerhaven and it’s where Coach Ryan Smith started his professional career as well. I enjoyed my time with the Steelers and wouldn’t have done anything differently as they gave me a great opportunity to play junior hockey." Says Alex Kampen, Steelers Grad


"The entire Steeler's organization is proud of Alex on the signing of his contract with Bremerhaven. I know that he will enjoy his time there. It is a great hockey town and the people are very passionate about their team. I was fortunate enough to have played my first 3 seasons of my pro career with the Pinguins and it was a great time. Kamper will fit in well with the European style of play and I expect him to have great success. I know I will be watching the German scoreboard a little closer this upcoming season. I wish Alex all the best in his pro career." Says Ryan Smith, Head Coach and Director of Player Personnel

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: