Friday, July 13, 2012

UVM Hockey Recruit Zemgus Girgensons Signs NHL Contract with Buffalo Sabres

Press Release

BURLINGTON, Vt. - University of Vermont men's hockey recruit Zemgus Girgensons will not play for the Catamounts in 2012-13. Instead the Latvian native has signed an NHL contract with the Buffalo Sabres.

STATEMENT FROM VERMONT HEAD COACH KEVIN SNEDDON
“It is with mixed emotions that I announce that Zemgus Girgensons will not enroll at UVM in September and instead sign an NHL contract with the Buffalo Sabres.

Throughout the recruiting process, Zemgus has been very loyal to UVM, turning down offers to play Major Junior Hockey as well as Russia's premier professional league, the KHL, in order to maintain his goal of playing for the Catamounts.

We have stated often that if we are going to lose Zemgus, we hope it's to the NHL team that selects him in the draft. Buffalo feels confident that Zemgus can play for them this year as well as with the Rochester Americans of the AHL.

We support Zemgus and wish him the best of luck as he begins his professional career with Buffalo.

Though we are disappointed that we won't have the opportunity to coach him, we are very optimistic about our incoming class as well as our returning student-athletes and we will continue to prepare for a great 2012-13 season.”

STATEMENT FROM ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS
"I would like to thank Coach Sneddon and his staff for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to play for UVM. This was a very difficult decision for me to say the least.

I always felt that the NCAA was the best way for me to develop on and off the ice. After attending the Buffalo Sabres camp, and learning their plans for me, I feel I am ready to begin my professional career.

I will always be thankful for what the coaching staff has done for me as well as the current players. I love UVM, the community, and the fans. I will always be a Cat, and will always cheer for UVM."

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: