Monday, November 5, 2012

Storm trainer Rusty Hammond inducted into Guelph Sports Hall of Fame

Press Release

Long time Storm equipment Manager Rusty Hammond was inducted into the Guelph Sports Hall of Fame on Tuesday night.

Hammond has been with the Storm for 19 years, during which the Storm played in four Memorial Cup tournaments. Hammond also participated in four Ontario Hockey League All-Star games and five CHL Top Prospects games. While he has had plenty of special moments during his time in sports in the city, one stands out.
“It was a June day and I was sitting on my patio out the back, the phone rang and it was Calgary calling. It was Hockey Canada,” Hammond said. “I’d gone through the applying process for it and I was well aware that there was about 300 to 400 trainers across the country looking for it, but when they asked me if I was interested in being

the head trainer for the world under-18 team, I just about fell off my porch. It took me a millisecond to think about it. We won a gold medal over in the Czech Republic and the following year I was asked to do the world juniors in Helsinki, Finland. To be involved at that level and to stand and listen to your national anthem being played after you win a medal, is just phenomenal.”
Click here to read more about the other inductees


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: