Thursday, March 7, 2013

HRABOVSKY COMMITS TO AIR FORCE

Press Release

KEARNEY, Neb. – Tri-City Storm defenseman Johnny Hrabovsky announced Wednesday he has committed to attend school and play hockey at the United States Air Force Academy.

Hrabovsky, who is in his second season with the Storm, will join the team in Colorado Springs, Colo. this fall.

The defenseman said it was a hard decision, but he went with his gut.

“I knew after learning all about the military I wanted to go to either Army or Air Force,” Hrabovsky said. “It was a really tough to decide but it was just my gut feeling to go with Air Force and I think it will be really good for me in the future.”

A native of Hummelstown, Pa., Hrabovsky has scored 10 points on four goals and six assists and has a +7 rating in 41 games this season. In 2011-12, the defenseman racked up 10 assists in 56 games.

The 19-year-old said he really enjoyed the natural beauty around the city of Colorado Springs.

“It is beautiful there,” Hrabovsky said. That was another reason I chose [Air Force]. Every day when you wake up and walk to class, you have the Rocky Mountains looking at you the whole time and it’s really nice to look at. All the natural landforms up there are awesome.”

Hrabovsky has also had the luxury of getting to know one of his future teammates over the last few weeks in George Michalke, who is currently a member of the Storm coaching staff. Michalke, who is a junior on the Air Force team, sustained an injury in early October and has been helping out his former coach Josh Hauge while preparing to go back to school.

“George has been awesome,” Hrabovsky said. “When he got here I had lunch with him and we just kind of talked about the academy and he gave me a lot of insight. That was right before my visit so he gave me an idea of what I was going to see. If that’s the kind of guy Air Force takes, those are the kinds of guys I want to be around. It was just a great insight into what Air Force offers.”

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: