Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Maddison Smiley Awarded Stewy Stewart Memorial Trophy

Press Release

 Maddison Smiley of the Brooks Bandits is the recipient of the 2013 Stewy Stewart Memorial Trophy.  AJHL Commissioner Ryan Bartoshyk presented Smiley with the Stewy Stewart Memorial Trophy prior to Friday's playoff game in Brooks, Alberta.

The Stewy Stewart Memorial Trophy is named in honour of a long-time Calgary area fan who supported hockey at all levels. "Stewy" died in 1997 and the award was created to honour his support and commitment to the game.  The Stewy Stewart Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the AJHL player in the South Division that best exhibits the following attributes: character, dedication, perseverance, integrity and sportsmanship.

Maddison Smiley was nominated for the award by the Bandits Coaching Staff.  “His passion for the sport is tremendous,” said Bandits GM / Head Coach Ryan Papaioannou.  “Maddison’s ability to lead by example both on and off the ice made him an easy selection for this award.  His off-ice conduct and commitment to his studies show his upbringing and character, which he demonstrates at all times.”

“Maddison has come up against many challenges as a hockey player and each time becomes a better person and player.  He is respected by his teammates and was named by them as an assistant captain for this year’s team.  He is an exuberant young man, from a great family and he most definitely will be a keystone at the University of Massachusetts come 2014.”

“Throughout life people find something that intrigues them to extents beyond measure”, stated Smiley. “I found hockey.  In my many years of playing hockey it has taken extreme focus, dedication and hard work in the efforts to reach my peak potential.  It has shaped my character completely making me the person I have become to this day.  The time and effort I have put into reaching my dream has allowed me to get this far, my aspirations towards nothing but excellence have helped me obtain the Division I Scholarship that I have strived for since I started playing Junior A hockey.  Throughout my whole life I have wished to include hockey in my future, my passion for the game is never die.  I have recently committed to the University of Massachusetts and hockey will continue to be the driving force behind my life.”

Each award applicant was required to submit an essay to describe their qualifications.  The essay submitted by Maddison Smiley was exceptional and can be found in its completion here. 

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: