Friday, April 19, 2013

Forney Commits to Rivermen

Press Release

Township of Langley, BC, Thursday, April 11, 2013: The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club is pleased to announce the commitment of defenseman Chris Forney (1994 born) for the 2013-2014 season. Forney hails from Thief River Falls, Minnesota and played for Thief River Falls High, scoring 5 goals and 11 assists in 22 games.

“I am really excited to join the Rivermen organization next year. I have heard a lot of good things about the team and the community and cannot wait to get started,” said Forney.

Forney weighs in at 6 foot 2 inches, 180 pounds and describes himself as a two-way defenseman among other things,

“I like to take care of my own zone first and foremost, but then again I like to jump up in the play and try and create offense.”

Forney attended the recent Langley Rivermen Prospects Camp at the Langley Events Centre and his play left a lasting impression on the coaching staff.

“We feel Chris is a blue chip prospect and believe that he has the potential to be a great player in the BCHL,” said Head Coach and General Manager Bobby Henderson, “he is a fantastic skater with good vision and a nice skill set and we believe we addressed the Logan Smith departure on the blue line with this commitment.”

Forney admits he does not know a whole lot about the BCHL, but he does have some expectations for himself.

“I hope I can be a consistent contributor each and every night and I will do whatever the coaches ask of me. My goal is to win a championship in Langley.

Forney has been watched closely by NHL scouts throughout the season as is eligible for the upcoming NHL Draft in June.  He was listed in the preliminary rankings in November and was ranked at 168th among North American skaters when the mid-term rankings were revealed. Final rankings are set to come out later this month.

(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: