Friday, April 19, 2013

Rivermen Add Vela to the Fold

Press Release

Township of Langley, BC, Wednesday, April 17, 2013: The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club is pleased to announce the commitment of forward Marcus Vela (1997 born) for the 2013-2014 season. Vela is from Burnaby, B.C. and played for the Burnaby Minor “AAA” Bulldogs and racked up 25 goals and 55 assists in 30 games.

“I am very excited to join the Rivermen as I have heard nothing but good things about the organization and I am a big fan of the type of program they run there,” said Vela.

The young teenager turned sixteen years of age just over a month ago and is already 6 foot 1 inch, 185 pounds. He describes himself as a power forward type,

“I like to use my size out on the ice whether that is taking the puck hard to the net or dumping it in and working hard to get it out of the corner. However, I take care of my own end first and foremost before I worry about offense,” he continued.

Vela attended the Rivermen prospects camp earlier this month and the coaching staff was very impressed with his overall game,

“We are very happy to have Marcus on board,” said Rivermen Assistant Coach Kurt Astle, “he brings a physical presence to every shift along with an ability to be a playmaker. His game is similar to the likes of Cam Neely.”

“He is a player that I have followed closely over the last couple of years when I was coaching at Burnaby Minor and I am very pleased with his development,” continued Astle, “he is mature beyond his years on and off the ice and look for him to turn a lot of heads.”

Vela knows that there will be an adjustment period when his first BCHL season begins at the ripe age of sixteen, but he believes if he sticks to his game he will be successful,

“I just want to come into every game and play to my full potential and hopefully build up my confidence. I want to earn my ice time and I know I can do that by working hard every shift and do anything the coaches ask of me,” Vela finished.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: