Thursday, July 18, 2013

EMIL ROMIG COMMITS TO (D1) UNIVERSITY OF DENVER

Press Release

CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – IceRays forward Emil Romig will continue his hockey career in the collegiate ranks after committing to play the 2013-2014 NCAA season with the University of Denver in the newly formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC). 

“It's a great feeling and I am very excited about the opportunity to play for coach Montgomery and his coaching staff. His accomplishments both as a player and coach are tremendous and I know I will learn a lot and continue to grow as a player and person over the next four years” said Romig.

The Austria native skated this past season with the IceRays racking up 54 points during the regular season in 54 games played.  He notched 19 goals while adding 37 assists to the total.  During the first round of the North American Hockey League playoffs against Amarillo, he added five more points including two goals and four assists during the four game series.

Before heading South, the 5-9, 176lb forward skated the 2011-12 season with the Indiana Ice in the United States Hockey League notching 18pts in 47 games.

The University of Denver Pioneers were moved to the NCHC after a realignment following the 2012-2013 NCAA hockey season.  They take the ice against powerhouse schools such as Miami, North Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha, Colorado College, Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State, and Western Michigan.

“Obviously it is one of the premiere hockey programs in the country and I have only heard good things about the University of Denver academically as well,” added Romig.  “Of course you can’t overvalue the education this school can provide. I am really looking forward to starting the next chapter in my hockey career and life at Denver.”

The University of Denver kicks off the schedule against New Brunswick in an exhibition game before hosting Merrimack on October 11th & 12th to start the regular season and Romig hopes to bring a two-way game, along with grit and speed to the ice.

“I’ll just try to come in and play a good reliable two-way game. I am a very competitive person so I intend to bring a high compete level to practices and games on a daily basis. I like to play gritty and will try to use my speed to make plays and get to quality shooting areas to use my shot and to help create chances for my line mates. I really can't wait to meet and get to know my new teammates and coaches and will do whatever it takes to help contribute to the teams overall success.”

The commitment to the University of Denver for Romig marks the 28th over NCAA hockey commit that the IceRays have had in only three full seasons with the NAHL.

“Our coaches Justin Quenneville, Jeff Worlton and the entire IceRays organization were tremendous last season,” Romig finished.  “They really helped me to develop not only on the ice as a player but off the ice as a person as well. I can’t thank them enough for working with me tirelessly.  I also have to give a lot of credit to my former coach Brad Lutsch who has really helped and advised me along the way over the last few years and has taken me from being a European with not much of an idea of college hockey and developing me into a Division 1 college athlete.”

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: