Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Muskegon Alum Rasmus Bengtsson Agrees to One-Year Professional Deal in Sweden

Press Release

MUSKEGON, Michigan (August 6th) – The Muskegon Lumberjacks are proud to announce that recent alum in Defenseman Rasmus Bengtsson has agreed today to a one-year professional contract to play for Skellefteå AIK out of the Swedish Hockey League (formerly Elitserien), the top tier league in Sweden.
“Being able to play for the defending Swedish Hockey League Champion is a great feeling, and I feel that this is a great place to further develop my hockey skills,” said Bengtsson. “When the organization approached me about joining their team, I felt like it was the best option for me and my future.”

Bengtsson, the Landskrona, Sweden native, spent the better part of the past two seasons with the Lumberjacks recording 34 points (3 goals and 31 assists) in 86 games played.

“Coming to Muskegon was a great step for me after I needed something new in my hockey life, and the organization helped me get to where I am today. I made the right decision moving overseas and playing for the Lumberjacks two years,” said Bengtsson, proudly.

Before coming to the Lumberjacks, Bengtsson spent four seasons in the Rögle BK program from 2008-11 totaling 65 points (13 goals and 52 assists) in 175 games played. The former Lumberjack also represented his native Sweden in numerous international tournaments that included participating in the recent 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship in Ufa, Russia.

In his international junior career with Sweden, Bengtsson totaled 27 points (8 goals and 19 assists) in 51 games played. Bengtsson also medaled three times that included earning one Bronze (Under-17 World Hockey Challenge in 2009-10) and two Silver (Under-18 World Junior Championship in 2010-11 and Under-20 World Junior Championship in 2012-13) medals.

“I will always be grateful for the two seasons I played in the USHL because going up against some of the best talent day-in, day-out on a smaller rink than what I am used to made me take charge more and turn into a faster and stronger hockey player,” stated Bengtsson.

Bengtsson was also a former second round draft pick (59th overall) of the Florida Panthers in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He becomes the second former Lumberjack to ink a professional deal in Sweden as his former teammate Goaltender Kevin Lindskoug signed a deal to play for Rögle BK out of Allsvenskan this past April.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: