Friday, October 18, 2013

Gilhooly called up to Des Moines

Press Release

SYOSSET, New York – The New York Bobcats, member of the Eastern Hockey League, are proud to announce that forward and team captain Joe Gilhooly is being called up to the Des Moines Buccaneers of the Tier I United States Hockey League.

“This whole process has honestly been a dream come true and something I never saw coming.  It has been surreal and I'm just trying to take it in stride. I just want to be able to show what I can do out in Des Moines and hopefully remain there,” Gilhooly said.

Gilhooly, 20, is in his second year with the Bobcats and has registered five points (1G, 4A) in eight games played so far this season.  He is also one of five players that returned from last year’s team.

“The new coaching staff is the main reason I’m back here.  Craig Doremus is the reason I am who I am in hockey today.  He basically taught me everything I know.  And when I heard Kevin Kerr was coming in too, it was a no brainer.  This is easily the best coaching tandem I've ever had and it has helped me get to where I want be as a hockey player,” said Gilhooly.

The Brooklyn, NY native dressed in 36 games last season for New York and was named assistant captain.  He had nine goals and 20 assists for 29 points.

In 2011-12 Gilhooly skated for the Metro Fighting Moose of the Metropolitan Junior Hockey League, and collected 13 goals and 15 assists for 28 points.

"The New York Bobcats are extremely proud to send our captain Joe Gilhooly to the USHL.  It is an excellent opportunity for any hockey player.  Joe has worked extremely hard in his two-plus seasons as a Bobcat and we are excited to see him play in a USHL game.  Coach Rogger and the Des Moines Bucs were looking for a specific player to help their team and felt Joe would be a great fit,” said General Manager and Assistant Coach Craig Doremus.

“For me personally it was a special chance to see Joey's face when we informed him of their interest.  Joe was my captain with my prior team, the Metro Moose, so for me this has been an extremely fulfilling week.  Kids like Joe, and moments like this are what coaching is about.  Seeing kids achieve their hopes and dreams through hard work and determination.  I think for the rest of the Bobcat players it is extremely motivating to know that they are exposed to USHL teams on a daily basis and that each and every one of them is pushed to play at the highest of levels.  This type of player development is what we want to build our culture around"

The 6’2 forward was called up by the Bobcats in the latter part of the 2011-12 season, and scored 1 goal and 4 assists for five points in nine games.

“I am looking to bring my two way game to the Buccaneers, be responsible in the d-zone, good on face-offs and add physicality.  As long as I stick to my game I think it will work out.  I'm trying to play college hockey, and I am extremely grateful for this opportunity.  Hopefully we come out this weekend and get two big wins against Tri-City and Team USA,” he added.

This marks the first call up this season for a Bobcat player to the USHL.

The New York Bobcats congratulate Joe on this achievement in his hockey career.


 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: