CALGARY, Alberta (October 15, 2013) – The Fort McMurray Oil Barons slipped ever so slightly this past week, dropping a shootout to the Spruce Groves Saints, but still remain atop the AJHL overall standings. The Brooks Bandits kept pace and are setting up for a fantastic game in Brooks later in October when the MOB pay a visit to the AJHL's South Division leaders. The Powell River Kings dropped a key game to the Penticton Vees, who are on a small winning streak now, while the Langley Rivermen have put together a 6-game winning streak, and are firmly entrenched in the Top 20 representing the BCHL.
The Steinbach Pistons are on fire at the top of the MJHL, and the Selkirk Steelers have had a tremendous last couple of weeks. In the Superior International Junior Hockey League, the Thunder Bay North Stars are unbeaten after five games, while the Fort Frances Lakers have strong momentum. Over in the NOJHL, the Soo Thunderbirds remain at the top of the standings, while a strong week from the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners is keeping the standings close.
The Wellington Dukes are creating some breathing room at the top of the OJHL’s East Division, and Buffalo and Toronto Lakeshore are sorting their games out and are atop their respective divisions. The Carleton Place Canadiens had a tough week, and Ottawa slipped by Hawksbury, while dropping a close game to the Cornwall Colts.
Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) are still a force in Quebec, with Titan de Princeville running right with Les Cougars at the top of the overall standings. In the MHL, the Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners had a mediocre week and slipped slightly in the Top 20 rankings this week.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (3)
3. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (5)
4. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (10)
5. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (4)
6. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (7)
7. La Ronge Ice Wolves (SJHL) (2)
8. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (9)
9. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (8)
10. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (6)
11. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (11)
12. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (16)
13. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (HM)
14. Titan de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (HM)
15. Okotoks Oilers (AJHL) (17)
16. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (NR)
17. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (11)
18. Yarmouth Jr. A Mariners (MHL) (14)
19. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (NR)
20. Ottawa Jr. Senators (CCHL) (19)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL), Selkirk Steelers (MJHL), Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL), Hamilton Red Wings (OJHL)
About the Top 20 Rankings
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
About the CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada. The CJHL represents more than 120 teams and 2,500 players and has over 2,800 former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America. For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey
(Nathan can be reached at email@example.com)