FLORHAM PARK, NJ – The Metropolitan Junior Hockey League is pleased to announce its “Three Stars of the Week” for the period ending September 29, 2013. The three stars program is a weekly award given to the top performers in MJHL games, regardless of position, for the previous week. The awards are scored on a 5-3-1 point basis to assist in determining top performers for the year-end awards.
This week, Richmond Generals forward Addison Edwards (’95 birth year/Scottsdale, AZ) is the league’s 1st Star, North Jersey Avalanche goaltender Jordan Bustard (’96 birth year/Flanders, NJ) is the league’s 2nd Star and Philadelphia Junior Flyers defenseman Michael Grande (’96 birth year/West Chester, PA) is the league’s 3rd Star.
Edwards had a strong offensive period for the Richmond Generals as they opened up MJHL play with four wins in five games. The Scottsdale native filled the scoresheet with six goals and an assist, including three game-winning goals and added another on the power play. Edwards was not just strong offensively, but was able to contribute on the defensive side of things as well with five blocked shots and was a plus-six during the period.
“Addison is gritty, physical and an extremely fast skater who is able to create to chances by being relentless on the forecheck,” said Generals Head Coach R.C. Lyke. “He has a very hard and accurate shot that enables him to make opposing teams pay when they turn the puck over. He never stops competing and that is why he is having the success that he’s had so far for the Generals.”
The league’s second star is Bustard, a rookie goaltender for the Avalanche and Head Coach Bill McCreary. Bustard saw action in a pair of games at the Mullen Division Mini-Showcase this past weekend, picking up wins against the Junior Wolfpack and the Generals. While the Flanders native was strong against the Wolfpack, it was his performance against the last year’s MJHL regular season champion, where he saved twenty-nine shots in a 3-0 Avalanche victory, improving his record to 3-0.
“Jordan had a terrific weekend for us,” said McCreary. “He faced one of the best teams in the league and make a handful of point blank saves throughout the game, that helped preserve the win and the shutout."
Rounding out this week’s stars of the week is Grande, a rookie defenseman for the Junior Flyers. Grande began his 2013-2014 in style, by picking up three goals and two assists, as the Junior Flyers swept a pair of games over the New Jersey Renegades.
“Grande is one of our assistant captains and leads his team on and off the ice,” said Junior Flyers Head Coach Robert Lewis. “He is the kind of player that continues to improve in each and every game. He contributed a strong defensive effort as well, by anchoring our penalty kill and ended the weekend, plus eight. I’m very proud of the leadership role he has taken on and the production he has given us on the ice.”
Receiving honorable mention this week:
· New Hampshire Junior Monarchs forward Joe Accarpio (’94 birth year/Wetherfield, CT)
· North Jersey Avalanche forward Nick Brown (’96 birth year/Ringwood, NJ)
· Richmond Generals defenseman Allen Hudson (’93 birth year/Portsmouth, VA)
· New York Applecore forward Kieran Hurley (’96 birth year/Long Beach, NY)
· Long Island Royals forward Anthony Koslow (’94 birth year/Medford, NY)
· New Jersey Rockets goaltender Thomas Marigliano (’96 birth year/Seaford, NY)
· Central Penn Panthers forward Richie McCartney (’96 birth year/Hershey, PA)
· Philadelphia Little Flyers forward Justin Nugent (’93 birth year/Cinnaminson, NJ)
· Long Island Royals forward Matt O’Shaughnessy (’95 birth year/Babylon, NJ)
· Connecticut Junior Oilers forward Kevin Robinson (’96 birth year/Fairfield, CT)
· Boston Junior Rangers goaltender Mike Robinson (’97 birth year/Bedford, NH)
(Nathan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
October 27 postgame notes
2 hours ago