The Director of player safety of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Raymond Bolduc today suspended Jimmy Oligny of the Rimouski Océanic for 4 games. The suspension was handed out following an incident that occurred on October 5th against the Drummondville Voltigeurs.
Here is the rational that led to the decision :
- The action took place on the edge of the boards, at the face-off level.
- The opponent hit the puck in the manner of a golf swing.
- The player at fault, headed towards him and turned to protect himself from his opponent’s stick.
- He finished checking with an elbow directly to the head of his opponent.
- On the video of the event, we see the offending player turn, jump and hit the opponent's head.
- Speed is not a factor in this action.
- The opponent was injured on the play
The Director of Player Safety took this decision after having viewed videos of the incident, considered the officials report, spoken to the players and organizations involved and after consulting the Advisory Committee for disciplinary action.
(Nathan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)