Monday, November 4, 2013

Matthew Abt commits to RIT

Press Release

 Whitecourt Wolverines defenseman Matthew Abt has committed to the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers for the 2014-15 season. Founded in 1829, RIT is a Division One NCAA school playing in the Atlantic Hockey Association and are based in Rochester, New York.

Abt is currently enjoying a break-out season for the Wolverines with 15 points in 14 games. The Leduc, Alberta native is in his fourth season with the organization, spending his first two seasons with the St. Albert Steel and is now in his second season as a Wolverine. Abt registered 13 points in 51 games last season for Whitecourt.

“I’m very excited to be going to RIT next fall and grateful for the opportunity. I want to excel on the ice and in the classroom at the next level and RIT has provided me with a tremendous opportunity to do so. The campus is beautiful and I look forward to spending the next four years in Rochester with the goals of earning my degree and readying myself for hockey opportunities after college.  I am excited about playing in front of the enthusiastic fans of RIT hockey in their new arena starting next fall. I will carry the same dedication and hard work from the Wolverines organization to the Tigers organization and hope to make a difference. I would like to thank my family and the Wolverines organization for helping me get to this point in my hockey career,” said Wolverines defenseman Matthew Abt

“I’m very proud of Matthew Abt’s accomplishment. His scholarship is very deserving, as he entered this season in top shape and was determined right from the start. Matthew is a tremendous leader on and off the ice, and possesses superior talent. He’s a complete player. We feel that Matthew will be a great fit with the RIT Tigers’ program. Matthew has set the bar for the Wolverines program and he has led by example. He has been a very big part in building the culture of the Wolverines organization,” said Wolverines General Manager/Head Coach Joey Bouchard.

“Matthew has embraced what we are doing in Whitecourt and has fully utilized our Centre of Excellence training centre that is designed around the college hockey experience. We feel he will have a seamless transition to on and off ice requirements at the college level. The Wolverines organization would like to congratulate Matthew and his family on his selection of RIT for his college experience,” said Wolverines General Manager/Head Coach Joey Bouchard.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: