Monday, December 9, 2013

Monarchs' Spicer commits to Maine

My Maine Hockey Journal story

Press Release 

The New Hampshire Jr Monarchs are proud to announce that Cameron Spicer, a 1996 born defensemen from Erie, Colorado has made the decision to play his college hockey for the University of Maine. Cameron has been courted by several Division I schools, but Maine quickly emerged as his number one choice. The Jr. Monarchs have a rich history of sending players to the University of Maine and Spicer will join a distinguished group of players that have traveled from Hooksett, NH to Orono, ME. Spicer said this about making his choice, "After getting the opportunity to experience the campus and see what it means to be a Black Bear, I knew it would be the best place for me to grow as a person and a player. Making the commitment to play at the University of Maine tops all other accomplishments in my life up to this point."

Head Coach Ryan Frew said this about Cameron, "Spice is an exceptional, young, rising star. He represents our program incredibly well. He is a gifted skater, and phenomenal defensemen who controls the game well and is projected to be an impact player at the Division I level. He is a high character kid. Very well spoken, incredibly gifted and hard working in both the classroom as well as the ice. Cam is articulate, smart, and mature beyond his years. We are very happy for him. When Coach Golden first saw him play and he called me to get the OK to sign him, I could tell in his voice that we had a special player. Spicer is just that...this kids ceiling is so high and he is just going to get better and better. After a year or two in the USHL he will certainly be a big time college hockey player."

Cameron had high praise for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs program, "The Jr. Monarchs have drastically improved my hockey I.Q., taught me the mental strength and responsibility required to survive in an NCAA environment, and physically pushed me to make me, and my team, very prepared for college hockey. It's a special place to play. The family environment that was established from day one has been the best part of my experience with the Jr. Monarchs. The camaraderie among the players and coaches has assisted in the creation of a unified team that has the will to succeed day in and day out."

And about his coaching staff, "Coach Frew is a dynamic part of our success, he has shown me how to meet and exceed high expectations. He stays composed in adverse situations and makes the best decisions for our program. I love playing for him because of the winning tradition he instills and the care he shows to every member in the program. Coach Golden has been a pleasure to play for. His love for the game is unmatched and he is exceptional when it comes to aligning the team systematically. His desire for perfection helps us to improve each day and forces players to perform. Like Coach Frew, no one cares more about his players."

Coach Frew added this, "Cameron is exactly the type of player that we want to project as the image of our program. He excels in the classroom, he is a student of the game, and is well liked by his teammates, he works to make himself better all the time. His parents Chuck and Linnea, have done a commendable job with Cam. This is a young man that understands the important things in life and has core values and ethics that are unfortunately hard to find these days. His hockey ability speaks for itself, he is high above the curve. I don't throw this around often, but if he stays on this path we may see another Jr. Monarch make it to the professional ranks."

When asked what makes the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs special, Cam answered without skipping a beat "No other program builds such profound esprit de corps between every player that plays in, or has played in the organization. Once a 'Narch, always a 'Narch, that's what makes us special." It's a special time in Monarchs country. Sitting at the top of the Eastern Hockey League standings, with College and Pro scouts in the stands every game, this looks to be the first of many commitments that this group of players, this family, will have this season.

Cameron made it a point to make sure that his own family, received the recognition that they deserved as well, "None of my achievements would have been possible without the support of my family, my father Chuck, my mother Linnea, my sisters Bailey and Paige, and my brother Jack." 

(Nathan can be reached at

No comments: