Wednesday, December 4, 2013

RoadRunners forward Poulsen makes NCAA DI commitment

Press Release

Topeka RoadRunners second-year forward Tyler Poulsen is moving forward in his hockey career by committing to play for the Division I University of Alabama - Huntsville Chargers. UAH plays in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association and is the southernmost program in Division I.

“I’m really excited to be taking this step up to the next level,” said Poulsen of the commitment. “I’d like to thank the UAH coaching and scouting staff for giving me this opportunity. It’s a relief to have a team to watch, study, and prepare for. Particularly a team like UAH that is in the process of rebuilding the program. That coach Corbett and his staff believe that I could be a part of that rebuilding plan, of helping to improve this team from the ground up, is both humbling and an honor. Also, the WCHA is a great conference and I look forward to the challenges that come with that.”

With 185 NAHL games under his belt, Poulsen has amassed 115 points off 57 goals and 58 assists. In 81 games as a RoadRunner, he has 26 goals (five game winners) and 27 assists, 72 penalty minutes, and a plus/minus of +7. Equally notable has been his work off the ice. Poulsen has been very active in the RoadRunners Reading and Get Fit initiatives that seek to utilize players to educate children on the importance of literacy and fitness. This work ethic in and out of the locker room has earned him the honor of Assistant Captain this season. When looked at separately, these numbers and facts draw a picture of a talented player with the potential to develop at the collegiate level but Poulsen made his first big impression on the Chargers earlier this season at the NAHL Showcase.

“They began communicating with my parents in Blaine,” explained Poulsen. “Over the course of the showcase, I was able to make an impression and it kind of snowballed from there. Over the summer, I worked harder than ever to prepare myself for this season and to give myself a chance at this kind of opportunity. It’s gratifying to see all of that preparation begin to pay off and it’s only going to encourage me to work that much harder moving forward. ”

Prior to becoming a RoadRunner, Poulsen spent a season with the Aberdeen Wings (2010-2011) and split another season between the Wings and the Odessa Jackalopes (2011-2012). RoadRunners head coach Scott Langer saw something special in Tyler, which culminated in his acquisition for the 2012-2013 season.

“Tyler’s commitment level to the Topeka Roadrunners since day one has been unreal,” said Scott Langer. “He is a player that will not be outworked. Tyler is a first class young man with high end leadership and character. We as an organization are extremely proud of Tyler’s persistent approach to become both a well rounded athlete and a True Roadrunner.”

For his part, Poulsen credits the RoadRunner organization for helping him reach this goal. “Ever since I became a RoadRunner, Coach Langer, his staff, and the Stone Family have given me all the tools I’ve needed to improve and succeed and I couldn’t be more grateful. I hope that as I move on, I reward their faith and hard work by making the most of what they’ve given me.”

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: