Friday, January 3, 2014

Finnegan to Quinnipiac

Press Release

The Skipjacks Hockey Club is pleased to announce that Ryan Finnegan their stand out forward on the U16 team has committed to Quinnipiac University, the NCAA Division I National Champion Runner-Up.

Ryan is a 1997 birth year player from Tecumseh, Kansas and is having an outstanding season for the Skipjacks.  He is currently tied for the scoring lead in the USPHL U16 Division, with 19 goals, 30 assists, for 49 points in just 19 games played.

Ryan follows a long list of players to be coached by Jason and Jared Kersner, the Skipjacks founders and coaches, to commit to a NCAA Division I school. Ryan joins Sam Anas at Quinnipiac, the current leading freshman scorer in the nation, and one of the many players coached by Jason and Jared that have made Division I commitments over the past several years.

Ryan said he “chose to play for the Skipjacks because of the league they play in and proven track record of the coaches to develop players and help them advance to Division I.” Ryan gives full credit to the “great coaching staff of the Skipjacks for improving my offensive and defensive skills and making me the player that I have become. The workouts and practices are very intense and have helped me become a better player physically and mentally.  My teammates also are amazing and I give a lot of credit to them for being so supportive of me”.  He continued, “I am so excited that my dream of playing Division I hockey has been realized, and going to QU, one of the best hockey teams and a top academic university is a dream come true.”

Head Coach Jason Kersner said “Ryan is not only a great player and gifted play maker, but he is an even better person.  Ryan is a person of high character, our team captain, and embodies the team first attitude we want of our players.  He drew interest from many Division I schools and I am certain he will have an excellent college career.”

Quinnipiac University is located in Hamden, Connecticut and enjoys a reputation as one of the top academic schools in the country. The hockey team plays in the ECAC, a top hockey conference in the country, and is not only the 2013 national champion runner-up, but currently the #8 ranked team in the country.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: