Thursday, January 16, 2014

Killer Bees defenseman Mostrom makes NCAA DI commitment

Press Release

The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees, proud members of the North American Hockey League (NAHL), are pleased to announce that defenseman Sean Mostrom has committed to play NCAA Division I hockey for the University of Denver.  Denver is a member of the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC).
 
Mostrom is the first active player from the Killer Bees roster to make an NCAA Division I commitment.
 
Mostrom, 19, is in his first season with the Killer Bees. He has appeared in 25 games this season, registering nine points (3 goals, 6 assists). The native of Wayzata, Minnesota has also spent time in the NAHL with the Brooking Blizzard organization in both 2011-12 (then Alexandria) and also in 2012-13.
 
Prior to his junior hockey career, Mostrom (6’3/205) was a standout defenseman for Providence Academy in Minnesota. 
 
“I feel very honored to be the first commitment from the Killer Bees because we have a bunch of really talented guys on this team,” said Mostrom. “I have always wanted to go to the University of Denver, so for it be to a reality is a dream come true for me and I couldn’t be happier. I want to thank the Killer Bees organization and Coach Coombs. I feel like since I have been here my game as improved and think my confidence as a player is at an all-time high right now.”
 
“This is a very important commitment for us because it is our first with an active player. I think from a coaching perspective it is very exciting because we have a lot of talented players on this team and we feel Sean’s commitment will be the first of many to come,” said Killer Bees head coach Joe Coombs. “I know Denver was Sean’s #1 pick, so we are very happy for him.  He is going to a premiere NCAA program with a fantastic coach.”
 
Coombs continued… “Sean skates very well and understands how to move the puck. He is a big, strong and physical defenseman. He scores timely goals, but most important of all, he remains responsible on the defensive side.  He competes really well and doesn’t take a night off and he should be able to adjust to the NCAA level in a short period of time.”


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: