Saturday, February 8, 2014

Butala commits to Maine

My Maine Hockey Journal story

Press Release

YOSSET, New York - The Long Island Gulls are proud to announce that defenseman Simon Butala has committed to play and attend school at the University of Maine beginning in the fall of 2016.

Butala is a current member of the Gulls Midget U16 team that is coached by Vinny Smith.

“I have never felt so much at home with one team,” said Butala.  "I feel like I am part of a family with the Gulls organization and it's been like that since the day I got here."

The 6-foot-1 blueliner has five goals and nine assists for 14 points in 24 games played so far this season.

“The Long Island Gulls organization has been so supportive of me,” said Butala. "They have done everything possible to help me get better and put me in a position to succeed,” said Butala.

The Downingtown, PA native would like to either be with the USNTDP or a USHL club before heading to Maine.

“Maine is everything I could've wanted in a school and ice hockey program. The coaching staff is incredible and the environment at the University is perfect for me,” Butala said.

“The attitude and commitment of the program proves to me that Maine is somewhere that I will be able to mature and grow, not only as a player but as a person too.“

The Long Island Gulls would like to congratulate Simon and his family on taking the next step in his hockey career.

"We are extremely happy for Simon and his family. He has come to this team and fit in right away. His work ethic and physicality has changed our team and locker room. Couple that with his high end skill and you have a defenseman that has earned his spot amongst the best defenseman in the country, said Smith.

"Maine will be a great fit for Simon and playing for coach Red Gendron will make him a much better player. The organization has done a great job and the boys have earned everything they have gotten. Simon is the 5th Gulls player to make his college commitment this season."


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: