Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hughes commits to University of Wisconsin

Press Release

 The Spruce Grove Saints are proud to announce that sophomore forward Cameron Hughes has committed to play for the University of Wisconsin Badgers, a member of the NCAA Div.1 Big 10 Conference.

Cameron came to the Saints from the Canadian Athletic Club Midget Hockey program in the AMHL.  In his rookie season with the Saints last season, Cameron played in a full 60 game schedule amassing 11 goals, 20 assists for 31 points, while totalling 42 PIMs.  So far this season with the Saints, Cameron has played 44 games, recording 17 goals 32 assists for 49 points and 54 PIMs.

"Cameron is a very competitive and talented young player. His hockey intelligence really separates him from other players his age," states Coach Jason McKee. "He has incredible vision and plays a 200 ft game. He is a sponge when it comes to improving his game and has a very bright future."

"I'm extremely excited to commit to the University of Wisconsin.  I would like thank all the coaches and volunteers involved with the Spruce Grove Saints organization, who have given me every opportunity to succeed," says Hughes.  “I'd also like to thank my friends and family for their continued support.  As well to my grandparents who have supported me throughout my years in hockey and rarely miss a game.  I am honoured and blessed to have been given the opportunity to continue my hockey career with the University of Wisconsin Badgers and I am extremely excited at what the future will hold."

The Saints organization would like to congratulate Cameron and his family on this step in his career and wish him continued success moving forward, both athletically and academically.

(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: