Friday, November 21, 2008

Tavares Speaks

Terry Doyle from Loosepucks.com interviewed John Tavares after last night's ADT Canada-Russia Challenge. It was his first public comments about the possibility of being traded.

"Yeah, I think I understand it was going to come at some point. The way things have gone this season people have talked about it all summer and the beginning of the year and during training camp and now it's started again. My thing has just been focusing day-by-day on being with the Generals. That's the way I'm going to keep approaching it, day-by-day, not waiting for anything or expecting anything. I'm a General until I'm told otherwise I'm not going to approach anything differently."

He handled the situation very well. When you watch this kid answer questions, he's calm, cool, and collective. At least he's fielding questions about the topic. I don't if the National Media covers this event (I know Sportsnet covers the game.) Looking at the London Free Press story, he just made comments about his line mates.

Chris DePiero the General Manager of the Oshawa Generals made an interesting comment.

"We haven't come to any decision to stay the course with John and keep him here or make a move and entertain offers," DePiero said Thursday. "Through the course of regular conversations that occur with other general managers that I get into every week, they'll ask: 'What's going on with the big guy?'

"At first, you could see it's guys asking questions and kicking tires and then some other guys became a lot more serious in their questions."


You aren't entertaining offers but listening to other General Managers ask about him (Tavares)? If you weren't entertaing offers, would you change the subject when you here John Tavares come out of the GM's mouth? Someone in organization knows just reading the Sportsnet report on Wednesday.

That's My Take

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: