Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Interesting point made by Ryan

Yesterday when I mentioned there will be a spot open for a goaltender on next year's team, one of the two goalies I named was Andy Iles. I was thinking on the fly as only two names came to my head (not saying another goalie (s) doesn't deserve to be there...my mind can hold so much).

The only problem is with Iles joining the National Program is the Indiana ICE hold his USHL rights. Now I don't know what the NTDP and the USHL agreed upon when a situation like this arises.

The ICE aren't going to let him go without fight are they? They will need a netminder next season as Bennett heads to Wisconsin. They have Chris Paliafito who will be a 20 year old next season. He has only appeared in four games this season. Also a draft pick of the ICE is Casey DeSmith who plays at Deerfield Academy.

Now this situation works both ways. The Green Bay Gamblers drafter Under-17 forward Austin Czarnik. He won't be going to Michigan St until the fall of 2011 which means he would be playing an extra year of junior hockey. I don't know the league rules or policies but wouldn't that be against league rules having another team's player on your affiliation list? The Gamblers drafted him knowing he's going to play an extra year but could possibly lose his rights.

That's My Take

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Casey DeSmith plays a Deerfield Academy now. Very good points about players being drafted by a USHL team and having connections to the NTDP.

DPlaya said...

Seth Ambroz is already on the Omaha Lancers and is on the potential USNTDP list...

Ryan said...

I know that if a player is on a USHL team's 23 man roster, the NTDP can NOT get any of those players. Not often do USHL teams add those that young anyways, as they seem to choose to stay home or go to the NTDP.

I also know that players on USHL affiliated lists that have NOT graduated from the NTDP (ie Czarnik, Mersch) will no longer be affiliated with the USHL team that drafted them. Anyone playing for the NTDP that is graduated (McCarthy, Crowley, Mattson) will still be affiliated with the USHL teams that drafted them.

I'm not sure if affiliated players are protected from the NTDP or not. I hope so, though.