Monday, May 25, 2009

Brown making a case for the World Junior team?

I try to post positive news and comments as much as I can. I don't want rip the Kelowna Rockets because they are the WHL Champions and the Memorial Cup runner-up.

One thing that kept the game somewhat close was the play of Adam Brown in relieve of Mark Guggenberger. If you follow me on Twitter, I posted after first period:


I can't believe the first period at the Memorial Cup...if it wasn't for Adam
Brown this game would be 5-0 Windsor

He singlely handed stopped Dale Mitchell from recording a hat trick and maybe the MVP honors (Okay, so the second Mitchell opportunity wasn't a save by Brown's part.).

Then I remember something I posted in January. My 2010 USA World Junior team and I placed Brown as a player that was outside the bubble. Since January, a lot of things have changed.

I believe Brandon Maxwell has hurt his chances since the New Year. I think it's down to three goalies battling it out for the back up role (I think Mike Lee will be the number one heading into the tournament.).

1. Adam Brown

2. Jeff Campbell

3. Connor Knapp

You can interchange Brown and Campbell. Maybe most people will choose Campbell over Brown because of what he did at the Under-18 Championships. Another reason is Brown only played less then sixty minutes. At the sametime, Brown just shown the ability to come off the bench cold. I would think that's a strength of a back up goaltender. I think age will be a factor in deciding also.

What do all four of these players have in common (including Lee), they were apart of the finals in their respective league or tournament.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself because all these players still have to perform at the Summer Camp if they get invited and during the regular season. At the sametime it's something to think about.

That's My Take

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uh, duh, it's Jack Campbell, member of the U18 USA World Championship team. A real stud!