Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Thoughts on the Opening Game

Well I am not as surprised as the announcers for Sportsnet were about Kelowna just dominating. 22 days off for Rimouski, they were bound to be rusty. Kelowna beat Vancouver and Calagary who are either on par or better then Rimouski. If it weren't for Maxim Gougeon, this game could have been 8-1.

He was the only Oceanic player to show up in the first period. He kept them in the game. What I liked about Gougeon was the ablity to show his fraustration. Usually the sign of frastration is a bad thing for a team. After he made the spectacular save in the third, he called out Sebastien Piche.

I thought the message was sent to the team but a minute later, Gougeon had to bail his team out again.

I wrote a Memorial Cup preview just a few hours before gametime on my other blog. I mentioned for Portland Pirates fans to get ready for Tyler Myers. The reality is he might not ever dress for the Portland Pirates. He has stepped up his game since the World Junior Championships.

He could be in the NHL next season or the season after. What a shot he unleashed to make it 1-0. Gougeon had no chance on that one. It was perfectly placed.

How about Duval's goal? What a pass from Backlund and the hand-eye cordination by Duvall to control the puck. I told a friend recently with all the batted pucks for goals in the NHL playoffs, I am surprised there aren't MLB scouts in the building. This play was up to par with those NHL goals.

The only problem the Rockets had was the low glass. It took a period to adjust but I thought Rimouski was going to capitalize. When a team gives you two free powerplays, you better convert and Rimouski didn't.

I thought the Rockets also let off the gas and Rimouski had a chance to cut the lead in half. Hopefully the lesson is learned so it won't cost them later in the tournament.

That's My Take

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: