Saturday, May 9, 2009

The "Space" announces its retirement

Press Release

After 33 years of dedicated service, the space in the Winter Hawks’ team name has announced its retirement. In honor of its outstanding service, the organization has decided not to hire a replacement space, and the team will now be known as just one word, Winterhawks.

The space had been a Winterhawks fixture since the team moved to Portland in 1976, before which time they were known as the Edmonton Oil Kings.

“When the team moved to Portland in 1976, my predecessor, the space in Oil Kings, told me to serve the position with honor, and I feel like I’ve done that. It’s been an incredible run, but it’s time to move on,” said the space. “There have been so many highlights over the years – two Memorial Cups, the 9-1 win in Seattle this year, it’s hard to pick just one. I would, however, like to lay to rest the rumors on the Internet that differences between myself and the team’s new management led to my departure. That innuendo was completely false, and I wish the Winterhawks – wow, that’ll take some getting used to - nothing but the best.”

“I did my best to talk the space out of retirement but its mind was made up, and we certainly respect its decision. After 33 years the space has earned the right to call it a day.” said Portland Winterhawks President Doug Piper. “Through thick and thin the space has always been there. Even though in this economy we’d probably find a number of qualified applicants, we know we can’t possibly replace everything the space has done for us, so we’re retiring the position altogether.”

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: