Monday, June 8, 2009

BGSU picks up Freismuth

Press Release

The Alexandria Blizzard has announced that third-year forward Jerry Freismuth has committed to Bowling Green State University (CCHA) for the upcoming fall.

He is the 26th player who competed in January’s NAHL Top Prospects Tournament to commit to a Division I program following the event.

“I’m excited for Jerry and his family,” said former Blizzard head coach Brad Willner. “He’s earned this opportunity from his hard work both on and off the ice.

“(Bowling Green head) Coach (Scott) Paluch is getting a great hockey player and a very classy person. Jerry is the kind of student-athlete you want representing your hockey program.”

“Coach Willner and Doc DelCastillo were key in helping me move to the next level, so I’m very grateful to them,” said Freismuth.

Freismuth, a 20-year-old from Grosse Pointe, Mich., finished tied for ninth in league scoring this past season with 57 points (15 goals) in 56 regular-season games.

“It feels great achieving one of my goals and I’m very excited about attending Bowling Green University,” Freismuth added. “I just want to say thank you to the Alexandria Blizzard organization for taking me in with open arms, especially my teammates, the ownership and housing parents (Brian and Karen Larson) who made my stay comfortable and were very supportive. That and the fans who have been so great the last three years.

“Lastly, my family has always been there for me. They’ve been very positive, helpful and patient going through the process and always supporting me. I’m looking forward to playing for the Falcons next season and the chance to get a very good education.”



(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: