Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cougars sign Smith

Press Release

Prince George, BC – The Prince George Cougars are proud to announce the signing of the team’s first pick in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft, defenceman Josh Smith.

Smith was selected 19th overall in the draft, held April 30 in Edmonton, after playing the 2008-09 season with the Red Deer bantam Rebels, posting nine goals and nines assists, while collecting 140 penalty minutes in 28 games. Smith, who resides in Lacombe, Alberta, stands 5’10” and weighs 180 pounds and is the second consecutive defenceman chosen by the Cougars with their first pick in the bantam draft. 15-year old Jesse Forsberg was taken 11th overall by the Cougars in the 2008 draft.

“I’m very excited about joining the Cougars. My parents and I are very happy right now,” said Smith. “I have high expectations for myself in the next few years. I want to make the Cougars roster as a 16 year old and help the team reach new heights.”

The excitement is shared by the Cougars. “This is a great day for the Prince George Cougars organization,” said Cougars General Manager Dallas Thompson. “We’re very pleased to have Josh in the fold. With his ability to skate and shoot, Josh will be a very important piece to the Cougars future success.”

Smith is preparing this summer for his first WHL training camp when he comes to Prince George in August. “I’m a little nervous going into the camp. I’ve never played against guys that much older than me, but I’m really looking forward to it."




(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: