Thursday, April 26, 2012

Steelers' Harris heading to NCAA

Press Release

The Selkirk Steelers announce that 19-year-old goaltender Adam Harris has accepted an NCAA Division 1 hockey scholarship to Canisius College (Buffalo, New York) of the Atlantic Hockey Association beginning this upcoming 2012-2013 season.

Harris, originally from Penticton, BC came to the Steelers in October 2011 after previously playing in the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL). During his time with the Steelers, Harris played in 33 games compiling 23 wins with 9 losses and 2.75 goals against average. Harris was also a finalist for the MJHL’s 2011-2012 Goalie of the Year Award.

"My full congratulations go out to Adam on accepting this scholarship. He should be very proud of this accomplishment and for having such an outstanding year. His play on the ice along with his marks off the ice attracted many schools. Working with the staff at Canisius College went smoothly and I feel both sides will be happy with the decision. I would've loved to have Adam back for one more year but this is an opportunity he couldn't pass up. As an organization, we are constantly trying to promote our players to the next level, whether that is NCAA, WHL, CIS or Professional. The entire Steelers Organization is extremely proud of Adam and we wish him all the best at Canisius College" says Head Coach and Director of Player Personnel Ryan Smith.

"I want to thank the organization as a whole for bringing me into Selkirk. I would also like to thank the coaches for giving me the opportunity to play and for giving me the support and confidence I needed to succeed. I would also like to thanks my teammates for making it a great year and the most successful season of my career. Joining the Steelers was the best decision I ever made and this team and this season will always be how I remember my junior career" says goaltender Adam Harris.



(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: