Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Joseph Announces Retirement

Press Release

Sydney - Long time Screaming Eagles Assistant Coach Blair Joseph announced today that he will not return for the 2012-13 season.

“I enjoyed my experience with the Eagles and they are a first class organization,” said Joseph. “I really enjoyed working with the hockey staff, players, training and office staff. I also want to say a special thank you to the late Greg Lynch and Board of Directors for giving me the opportunity to coach at the Major Junior Level.”

Joseph spent 11 seasons as Assistant Coach with the Screaming Eagles and cited more family time as the major factor in his decision.

“I want to spend more quality time with my family including my 5 children, and 12 grandchildren who live in Halifax, Calgary, and North Carolina,” said Joseph.

“Despite no longer being an assistant coach, I look forward to supporting what I expect will be a young, exciting team next season,” said Joseph; and jokingly added, “I have to go to the game to see my 89 year old mother, she never misses an Eagles game.”

Perhaps his most important role was acting as a communicator between the players and coaches. Joseph always made himself approachable to the players and looked to build relationships with each individual who became a part of the Screaming Eagles. These were a couple of key qualities, among many, that enabled the players to see Joseph as a trustworthy figure.

“Bearcats presence on our staff helped in numerous aspects throughout the season,” said Screaming Eagles Head Coach Ron Choules. “He is a pleasure to work with and the players and staff will certainly miss him.”

The Cape Breton Screaming Eagles would like to thank Blair for his commitment to the organization and community as the Screaming Eagles Assistant Coach.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: