Thursday, May 23, 2013

Brendon Kearney Joins Rivermen

Press Release

The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey club is pleased to announce the commitment of forward Brendon Kearney (1995 born) for the 2013-2014 season. Kearney hails from Northville, Michigan and was the captain for Detroit Honeybaked and put up 24 goals and 49 assists in 62 games.

“I am beyond excited to come to Langley next year. I have heard nothing but good things from top to bottom about the organization and in meeting Mr. Henderson, I really liked what he had to say and feel the Rivermen will be a good fit for me come next season,” said Kearney.

Kearney is a left winger that stands at 6 feet, 185 pounds and describes himself as a playmaking two-way player,

“I feel I can really make plays in the offensive zone and score when needed, but at the same time it does not take away from my defensive game. I really enjoy playing in all situations and I hope I can come in and gain the coaching staff’s trust right away.”

Rivermen Head Coach and General Manager Bobby Henderson has had his eye on Kearney for a while now and was thrilled to land him,

“Brendon is a very solid all-around player that brings an outstanding compete level. He has a nice skill set and a good mind for the game and has shown he can put up good numbers. We know we are getting a leader and a dependable player and we see him helping our team in every aspect,” Henderson said.

Kearney had a whirlwind season as he took his team all the way to the national championship game, but unfortunately fell short in the end. He also had a taste of Junior “A” hockey in the USHL as he suited up in six games for the USNTDP Juniors.

“Last year was a great experience for me and I think I have really grown as a player. It was tough to lose in the national title game, but I am very proud of our team as not many people expected us to be there. As for my experience in the USHL, it was great. Just being able to be around the top players in my age group and see the work they put in on a daily basis really put things into perspective for me. Now I know how hard I need to work to achieve my goals,” Kearney explained.

As for expectations in his first season in the BCHL, Kearney made it pretty clear cut what he hopes to accomplish,

“I just want a strong overall first year. Personally I want to come in and contribute anyway I can and hopefully gain some interest from division one schools. On a team level I want to bring the Fred Page Cup to Langley and win the RBC Cup, it’s as simple as that,” Kearney finished.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: