Friday, August 30, 2013

Alaska Calling: Mantha commits to Anchorage

Press Release sent to the World of Junior Hockey

 PENTICTON, BC –The Penticton Vees are pleased to announce goaltender Olivier Mantha (93) has committed to the University of Alaska-Anchorage for the 2014-2015 season.

 Mantha, 20, came to Penticton after spending the past three seasons in his home province of Quebec playing at Laflèche College in Trois-Rivières. Mantha appeared in 75 games for the Dragons and was named a RSEQ league All-Star in the past two seasons. The La Tuque, Quebec product was second in the Quebec college hockey circuit in save-percentage this past season, and also received a student-excellence award in 2012.

 The Vees goaltender says he’s excited to secure a scholarship this early and looks forward to the challenges ahead, “I’m surprised but very happy to have this happen so soon, as this the reason I made the move to play in BC. My main goal now is to win as many games I can for this team and win a championship.”
 Mantha says what drew him to Anchorage was the ability to make an immediate impact next fall, “The coaching staff told me I will have an opportunity as a freshman to earn the starting job there next season and that will only help me better myself while I’m here in Penticton.”

 The Alaska-Anchorage hockey program was founded in 1979 and the Seawolves have been a part of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association since 1993. Vees alumni that have played at Alaska-Anchorage include Matt Hanson, Nick Lowe, Spencer Carberry and most recently Andrew Pickering. Mantha is now the eighth players on the Vees roster with an NCAA scholarship.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: