Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sam Sternschein commits to Cornell

Press Release

SYOSSET, New York – The Long Island Gulls are proud to announce that current forward Sam Sternschein has committed to attend school and play hockey at Cornell University beginning in the fall of 2016.

Sternschein (’98) plays under head coach Vinny Smith for the Gulls Midget 16U team.  He has scored two goals in two league games played.

“I am very excited to have committed to Cornell.  It is an Ivy League school with a very strong hockey program,” said Sternschein.  “Lynah Rink has a great atmosphere with loud supportive fans.  It is the best of both worlds.”

The Syosset, NY native skated last season for the Gulls Bantam Major team, where he had 20 goals and 10 assists for 30 points in 18 league games played.

“I have been playing for the Gulls since I was a Mite.  The organization has given me the opportunity to excel in hockey through great coaching and I have made lifelong friends throughout the years,” added Sternschein.

The 6’2” forward was a part of the USA Select 15 Development Camp this past summer and registered two goals and two assists for four points in five games.

“I look forward to a successful season with my team this year and cannot wait to continue my career and further my education at Cornell,” Sternschein said.

Sternschein is the second player from the Midget 16U team to commit to a NCAA Division-I school this year.

“I am extremely proud of Sam. He is a great kid and deserves this opportunity. The Gulls organization has done a great job of developing Sam into a top player in the country.  His skating and puck moving ability at his size is what separates him from other kids, said Smith.

“I am thrilled that Sam will be receiving an education from Cornell, which is one of the top schools in the country.  This year’s goal for the 16U team is to showcase our kids to the max and promote our players.  We feel we are building a college factory and pathway for young men.  Sam is the second of many, we feel, that can commit to NCAA Division-I schools. He joins Adam Fox (Harvard) and hopefully many more.”

The Long Island Gulls would like to congratulate Sam and his family on taking the next step in his hockey career.

Cornell is located in Ithaca, NJ and is a member of the ECAC hockey conference (NCAA-D1).


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: