Thursday, September 30, 2010

Phantoms D-Man Chris Bradley Commits to RPI

Press Release

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The Phantoms had a very productive USHL Fall Classic and just four days off of their return home, Chris Bradley commits to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).

Chris Bradley becomes the eighth Phantom on the 2010-11 roster to secure a college commitment. Bradley is now able to remain fully focused on the season and is relieved that this process is over.

"It all started at the beginning of the year," said Bradley. "RPI saw me at the New York City Festival Camp, while I was trying out for the Team USA Selects squad. Two days after the camp, RPI contacted me and it grew from there. I had the opportunity to visit the school and I loved both the campus and the hockey program. I am very happy with my decision and I am very excited to attend RPI."

When Bradley was brought into Youngstown during the off-season, he was definitely a player that Head Coach Curtis Carr wanted in his locker room.

"When Chris left our camp over the summer," said Carr, "we knew we wanted him on our roster. He is a great hockey player, but an even better person. He makes are team better just because of his character alone."

According to Bradley, he fit the defensive mold that the RPI Engineers were looking for.

"RPI said that I fit the exact mold of their ideal defenseman," said Bradley. "They wanted a big, puck moving defenseman and I can do that well. I want to be an impact player and I want to be a leader in the locker room. I want to play my game and fulfill the expectations that they [RPI] have for me."

Coach Carr echoed those same qualities that RPI saw in Bradley.

"Chris is a very smart defenseman," said Carr. "He moves the puck well, he sees the ice well, he is solid in his own end, and he can be a threat on the power play. He is one of those rare defenseman that can do everything. He is a very good all around player. Again, even with all of his talent, he is a great person and that is what makes him an asset to any team."

While Bradley represents the eighth Phantom commitment, he is quick to recognize the outstanding job that is done not only on the USHL level, but by the coaching staff in Youngstown.

"Youngstown is a great place," said Bradley. "The coaching staff in Youngstown is great. I think that the role they play helps a lot. The number of commitments on our roster just shows the caliber of player that belongs in this league."

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: