Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Columbus Blue Jackets Announce Resignation of Assistant Coach Bob Boughner

Press Release

COLUMBUS, OHIO – The Columbus Blue Jackets announced May 18 that Bob Boughner has resigned his position as an assistant coach with the National Hockey League club. Boughner, who is the president of the Ontario Hockey League’s Windsor Spitfires, joined the organization in July 2010 after also serving as the Spitfires head coach from 2006-10.

"I want to thank Scott Howson, Scott Arniel and the McConnell family for the opportunity to work with the Blue Jackets last season," said Boughner. "I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Columbus and regret that I am not going to be there to see this team continue to develop and accomplish the goals we've set for it. This was a very difficult decision, but with my family and business commitments in Windsor it was in our best interest as a family."

"While I am disappointed that Bob is leaving our staff, I completely understand and support his decision to put his family first," said Blue Jackets Head Coach Scott Arniel. "He worked extremely hard last season and was a great asset to myself, the coaching staff and our players. For that, I am very thankful and I wish him all the best moving forward."

Boughner compiled a 166-80-26 record with the Spitfires and led the club to back-to-back Memorial Cup championships in 2009 and 2010. Prior to that, he appeared in 630 NHL games as a defenseman with the Buffalo Sabres, Nashville Predators, Pittsburgh Penguins, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes and Colorado Avalanche from 1995-06.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: