Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bobcats' Faragher commits to Dartmouth

Press Release

The Bismarck Bobcats have announced that goaltender Ryan Faragher has committed to Dartmouth College (ECAC) for the 2011-12 season.

He’s the ninth player who competed in January’s Sherwood/NAHL Top Prospects Tournament to commit to a Division I school after the event.

“I’m really excited to have my college plans set now, especially now that we’re in the playoffs,” said Faragher. “Having that external pressure out of the way is a big lift because all I have to worry about is Alexandria (the Blizzard, the Bobcats’ divisional final opponent) and getting to nationals.”

In his first year as a Bobcat, Faragher ranked third among NAHL goaltenders in both goals-against average (2.17) and save percentage (.921) in 38 regular-season games. He was also fourth league-wide with 23 wins.

Faragher posted 43 saves in his first playoff win over Albert Lea on Friday as the Bobcats completed a three-game sweep of the fourth-seeded Thunder.

“Ryan is already a top goaltender in the North American Hockey League, statistically,” said Bobcats head coach Byron Pool. “So (Dartmouth) Coach (Bob) Gaudet made a shrewd move in picking him up for the 2011-12 season, because he’ll only improve next season under the guidance of (Bobcats assistant coach and former goaltender) Layne Sedevie.”

Dartmouth, located in Hanover, N.H., is a member of the prestigious Ivy League of eastern private colleges and is world-renowned for its academic reputation.

“I’m undecided on my major as of right now,” said Faragher. “I feel lucky that I have a full year to weigh all my options in terms of what I want to study. I can’t go wrong though; having a Dartmouth education will set me up wonderfully for the rest of my life.”

“The entire Bobcat Hockey organization is extremely proud of Ryan for his accomplishment in securing his path to collegiate hockey,” added Pool, who himself played in the ECAC with Colgate from 1996-2000. “Ryan is the hardest worker on our team; everyday he’s the first one on the ice and the last one off, and his commitment to Dartmouth is richly deserved.”



(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: