Thursday, June 7, 2012

MILLER COMMITS TO WISCONSIN

Press Release

Wayne, NJ- The Jersey Hitmen are proud to announce that goaltender, Adam Miller, has committed to the University of Wisconsin for the fall. Miller will blaze the path for Hitmen forward, Corbin McGuire, who will hit Madison in the fall of '13.

"We could not be happier for Adam," commented coach Harris. "He is a tremendous kid and a great goaltender. He always came to the rink with a smile on his face and ready to work. He was very well liked in the locker room and respected throughout the league."

In 22 games for the Hitmen, Miller posted a record of 16-4 with 1 shut-out. He also maintained a 2.58 goals against average and a .915 save percentage.

 After his commitment, we were able to catch up with Miller over the phone.

"When I was first traded to the Hitmen in mid-December, it was the second time I had been traded that year, and I didn't know what to expect. I had pretty much been a ‘suitcase’ before I got to Jersey, playing for six teams in the two and half seasons prior.  It's always tough going to a new team, but I was lucky to have known a couple guys already so that made the transition that much easier,” said Miller.  “It also helped that my billets had another player living with them.  It was a lot easier to get comfortable with him there."

Miller went on to say, "Coming off of four surgeries and missing the majority of the previous two seasons, what I needed was game time and most importantly consistent game time.  With the two teams I played on before I got to Jersey, I didn't get that opportunity. That changed considerably when I started playing for the Hitmen.  Coach Harris promised me playing time, then gave me the chance to play and the chance to play often.  He followed through on his commitment to me and that meant a lot. What I really got was stability.  It took a lot of pressure off me knowing I was playing in a stable, healthy environment."

When Miller was asked about the EJHL he commented, "I think the best aspect of the EJ is the scouting.  After playing in the USHL and knowing how much scouting there is in that league, I wasn't sure how much we'd get in the EJ.  But, we had scouts at all of our games on a regular basis.  The exposure was really incredible. It's also great that all the teams are closer together than other leagues.  Travel is a lot shorter and that can really take its toll during the course of a season."

Miller continued on his experience with the Hitmen, "What really made my time with the Hitmen great was all the people in the organization.  It was the coaching staff, the owner, the trainer, the billets, but most of all the group of guys we had, that made it such an awesome experience.  It was a great group of guys, and I'm going to miss them next year.  I just want to say 'Thanks' to everyone who helped make my experience what it was."

Miller ended the conversation with his feelings on going to Wisconsin.

"It's been a lifelong goal to attend a school with a hockey program as prestigious as Wisconsin, and I feel honored to have to opportunity to go there.  if I weren't for all the support from my family, the hard work by our goalie coach, Ryan Honick, and coach Harris working for me behind the scenes I would undoubtedly be returning to Jersey. I am so excited to be a badger and to play for such a well-respected coach in Mike Eaves. It's truly a surreal feeling!"

Miller becomes the 6th Hitmen goaltender over the past 4 seasons to commit to a division one university and he becomes the 23rd Hitmen alumni college commitment for the 2012-2013 season (18th division one commitments).

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: