Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Couturier under contract until 2020

Press Release

BATHURST, Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - The Acadie-Bathurst Titan today announced that General Manager Sylvain Couturier has accepted a 10-year contract extension. Couturier, who was under contract until June 2010, will now be in place until June of 2020.

"We are privileged to have as General Manager one of the most knowledgeable and respected individuals in the QMJHL," mentioned team President Annie Morrissette. "Sylvain has an innate hockey sense and works very strategically and methodically. He’s put in place a strong scouting staff and has a vast contact network. That’s a credit to the individual because, over his professional attributes, Sylvain has a strong human approach. We consider ourselves fortunate to have him with us."

Titan Vice-President Stéphane Morrissette spoke along the same lines regarding the signing. "Having been with Sylvain during many meetings with the coaching staff, scouts or even in consultation with other General Managers, it’s easy to see that he has a strong expertise in the field and he is well-respected. These are two important qualities that a man in his position must have. The rest follows suit. All credit goes to him and he deserves to get what he’s received."

Couturier is content to be a part of the organization for the years to come. "I’m very happy. It’s a strong vote of confidence that Annie and Stéphane have given me. And, from a personal perspective, I’ve never hidden the fact that I feel at home here and it is here that I wanted to be. I had possibilities that could have been followed at the end of my contract, but this is where I wanted to be. I’m quite happy to have gotten this extension."

As the Titan’s General Manager (he also spent three years as Assistant Coach from 2002-03 to 2004-05), Sylvain Couturier already has a strong record. "If I look at my time as G.M., I’m proud of the fact we’ve never missed the playoffs. When I took the job in June of 2005, the team had just spent two years last in the overall standings, and in 2005-06 we came to within one game of participating in the memorial Cup tournament. In my first three seasons, the team averaged about 40 per season. For me, that is a good result."

Couturier is optimistic for what’s coming for the Titan. "Last season, things were more difficult as we had a very young club and rebuilding. What I like about this year’s team is that we’re still relatively young, the players are progressing well and we have a high number of picks in what is viewed as a strong draft next June. This bodes well for the future of this team."

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: