Sunday, December 20, 2009

USA trims roster

Press Release

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - USA Hockey today trimmed its list of potential 2010 U.S. National Junior Team members to 24 players. The original preliminary roster of 30 players was reduced following a three-day pre-tournament camp in Grand Forks, N.D., that culminated in an exhibition game against the University of North Dakota yesterday evening (Dec. 19).

The final 22-man U.S. roster will be announced Wednesday (Dec. 23) following Team USA's exhibition game against the Czech Republic on Tuesday (Dec. 22) in Moose Jaw, Sask. The 2010 U.S. National Junior Team will compete at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship, Dec. 26, 2009-Jan. 5, 2010, in Saskatoon and Regina, Sask.

"We took a good first step over the last three days, and I was extremely pleased with our effort last night," said Dean Blais, head coach of the 2010 U.S. National Junior Team. "Even though our roster will still change a bit, we can really begin preparing for the tournament over the next few days."

For the updated preliminary roster, click here.

NOTES: For a list of the preliminary roster players and their 2009-10 season stats, click here... A U.S. junior squad comprised of 23 of the 2010 U.S. National Junior Team candidates upended the University of North Dakota, 4-2, in an exhibition game yesterday (Dec. 19). For a full game recap, click here... For Team USA's full IIHF World Junior Championship schedule, click here... For full coverage of the 2010 U.S. National Junior Team, including photos, videos and features, click here.


(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just can't believe the US cut moore. It honestly frustrates me, because he's one of the best the US has, and they cut him? USA has shown it's incompetence too often. I'm really upset, I'm sick of disappointing showings, and i'm sick of usa hockey always taking the NCAA's side. I'm so upset, this kid was a 1st round draft pick, and was one of columbus' last cuts, he's ready for pro hockey, yet the US decides some schmuck in the NCAA who will never be a full time NHL will make the team? disappointing is all I can say.

Anonymous said...

I too am disappointed that Moore was cut. I'm a fan of Team Canada, so that part doesn't bother me; but I am also a season ticket holder for the CHL's Kitchener Rangers. I love the fact that John Moore is part of our lineup and will be glad to see him back over Christmas; however, this young man is very impressive to watch (ask Columbus), and I think that Team USA made another huge mistake.

I love watching the Canada-USA matchups at the IIHF Under 20's, and I'm wondering if politics didn't make a statement here...
Ditch the NCAA for the CHL and we'll make you pay!