Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Brampton signs Lane

Press Release

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Right winger Philip Lane signed with the Brampton Battalion on Saturday, the last day of the Ontario Hockey League club’s training camp.

Lane, a fourth-round pick in the 2008 OHL Priority Selection from the Rochester Alliance minor midgets, was a highly touted prospect who likely would have gone considerably higher if he had announced an intention a year ago to play in the league.

“We’re really happy to get him,” said Stan Butler, director of hockey operations and head coach. “It can be tough at times to get American players to come to our league. It’s great to see a player of his ability choose our team and our league.”

Said Battalion owner Scott Abbott: “This is a significant signing. We’re delighted that Philip has decided to join the team. We believe he’s an important part of the future of the organization.”

Lane, a 17-year-old native of Rochester, N.Y., played last season with the junior A Buffalo Jr. Sabres, scoring 18 goals and adding 24 assists for 42 points in 45 games.

“Last season was a good one for me to develop as a player,” said Lane. “It helped me work on my skills, and hopefully that will help me keep up with everyone here.”

Butler agreed.

“Playing in Buffalo was a good decision by him. He needed another year, and that really helped him.”

Lane said a season of junior A helped him acquire the quickness he’ll need to play in the OHL.

“I think I’m a little faster than I was this time last year. You need that here because the game is so much faster than it was in midget or junior A.”

Butler said he expects the six-foot-one, 194-pound Lane to be a power forward.

“He’s a big, strong guy who goes up and down his wing. He’ll be a good player for us.”

Said Lane: “I think I’m an all-round guy. I’m a two-way player, although I think I need to keep working on playing in my own zone. I’ll do my best to play whatever role they give me. But my size is an advantage. I’ll be using it.”

He added: “I thought camp went well this week. It’s good to get to know the guys I’ll be playing with. The guys are all great, and they’ve made me feel very comfortable. There are definitely a lot of skilled guys here. Hopefully I can find a place to fit in.”

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: