Wednesday, January 25, 2012

SWAVELY TO MAINE

Press Release

Wayne, NJ- The Jersey Hitmen are proud to announce that two year veteran and team captain Steven Swavely has committed to the University of Maine for the fall. Swavely follows in the footsteps of his older brother John, who is currently a sophomore at Maine. The 6'2’, 195-pound, Swavely has been a corner piece in the Hitmen line up since arriving in Wayne last season. In 90 EJHL games, Swavely has racked up a 32-67-99 line. Known for being a tenacious two-way player, the 2012 EJHL all-star finished his 2010-2011 rookie campaign as the 18th leading scorer in the league. This season, the Hitmen leading scorer, is 16th in league scoring with a 18-23-41 scoring line.

"I am so excited for ‘Swaves,’" commented coach Toby Harris. "Steven is a great kid. This year when we voted for team captains, Steven was a unanimous pick, he was on everyone's ballot, that speaks volume about his character. He is well liked, respected and a true leader in every sense of the word." Harris went on to say, "Maine is getting a real gem both on and off the ice. I have no doubt that Steven will be very successful in Orono and beyond."

Swavely, on a four game scoring streak (4-6-10), spoke about his commitment. "I can’t put into words how happy I am to be joining my brother at the University of Maine. Being part of a school so rich in hockey tradition and winning is a dream come true. After visiting Orono back in late November I knew it was the spot for me. I would like to thank Coach Harris, Coach Hunt, owner Bob Reiss and the whole Hitmen organization for everything that they have done for me. I would not be the player that I am today without the Hitmen and the EJHL. I developed tremendously in Jersey both on the ice and in the weight room. The attention to detail in everything that we do here has raised my game to the next level and I look forward to taking what I have learned to Orono." Swavely continued, "most of all I would like to thank my family. The opportunity that they have afforded me, the support that they have given me every step of the way, I would not be here without them. I cannot thank them enough! I look forward to working with Coach Whitehead, Corkum and Kerluke and helping Maine win a national championship."

Swavely becomes the 13th Hitman/ alumni to commit to a division one college program this season.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: